This icy topping works well on roasted vegetables, like sunchokes, or slices of heirloom tomato with sea salt and balsamic vinegar.
- 1 1/2 pounds Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cups water
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- Place Parmesan and water in ziplock freezer bag and seal. Fill a large pot with water and heat to just below a simmer. Place bag in the water and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove bag and let cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Strain liquid through a coffee filter and then refrigerate overnight.
- Skim fat from the Parmesan water and bring to a boil with simple syrup. Pour into a shallow pan and put in the freezer. Stir with a fork every 30 minutes until frozen.
- Recipe provided by chef Richard DeShantz of tako in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Photo credit: Adam Milliron