You can use any vegetable combination in this dish, depending on what looks good at the market.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 6 1/2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup sugar snap or snow peas, ends trimmed
- Medium red or orange bell pepper (or both), thinly sliced
- Small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 8 ounces uncooked rainbow fusilli
- 2 scallions, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 - 3 tablespoons tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and salt and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until onion begins to soften.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, and half the garlic to skillet. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are just barely tender. Add green beans, peas, bell pepper, and squash. Cook approximately 5 minutes more, then stir in remaining garlic. Cook another minute and set aside.
- Once water is boiling, add fusilli and cook about 12 minutes, or until tender but still al dente. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl. Add vegetable saute and toss with tongs to combine thoroughly.
- Sprinkle in scallions, parsley, basil, and Parmesan and toss again. Grind in black pepper and serve topped with pine nuts (if using).
- Nutritional information does not include optional pine nuts.
Per serving: 410 kcal cal., 13 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 259 mg sodium, 9 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 15 g pro., 141 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet