Pear and Sunflower Seed Soup
- 2 pounds Bartlett pears, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom seeds or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 vanilla pod, split and insides scraped, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground Saigon cinnamon or conventional cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon ground hempseed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 quarts water
- In a medium pot over high heat, combine the pears, cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon, sunflower seeds, hempseed, lemon juice, and water, cover, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the pears are very soft.
- Using an immersion blender or countertop blender, puree the soup until very smooth.
- Recipe excerpted from Soup Cleanse Cookbook provided by Nicole Centeno, founder of Splendid Spoon