Penne With Caramelized Onions
- 1 ounce pine nuts (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chopped fresh or frozen spinach
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 1 - 2 heaping tablespoons minced or crushed garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 pound small penne pasta
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes or until golden and aromatic, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Set aside.
- Place a deep large skillet or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water for the pasta. Add the salt to the onions and saute for 5 minutes longer, until the onions are very soft.
- Stir in the spinach (if using frozen, defrost, thoroughly drain, and squeeze out all the water first), artichoke hearts, garlic, and broth, and heat to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer gently while the pasta cooks. Cook the pasta until just tender.
- Drain well, and transfer to the skillet. Stir and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with black pepper, red pepper, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts.
Make Ahead Tip
- You can caramelize the onions and toast the pine nuts ahead of time.
- Store onions in the refrigerator and pine nuts in an airtight container until ready to use.
Per serving: 535 kcal cal., 15 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 488 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 21 g pro., 195 mg calcium, 7 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet