Pinto Bean Tofu Breakfast Rancheros
It's not just the tofu that adds protein to this vegan, gluten-free breakfast, but also the beans. And the combination of the two adds up to 18 grams of protein per serving. Yum!
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 small (5-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup canned vegetarian refried pinto beans
- 1/3 cup diced, extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons prepared guacamole
- 2 tablespoons diced green onions
- Heat small skillet with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
- Spread 3 tablespoons refried beans on one small corn tortilla.
- Place in skillet, with bean side on top. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons tofu and 1 teaspoon black olives.
- Place another corn tortilla on top of bean mixture and press. Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes, until golden. Turn and cook on other side for about 3 minutes, until golden.
- Place on serving dish and garnish with 1 tablespoon guacamole, 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon green onions. Repeat process to prepare second bean-tofu tortilla.
- Recipe courtesy Sharon Palmer, R.D.N., author of Plant-Powered for Life.
Per serving: 500 kcal cal., 20 g fat (2 mg chol., 618 mg sodium, 12 g Trans fat)ty acid, 4 g sugar, 18 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet