Plum Skillet Cake
This cake tastes amazing with plums, but you can swap in other seasonal fruits, like peaches, apricots, and blueberries.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat kefir
- 3 ripe plums, 1 chopped and 2 thinly sliced
- Honey, for serving (optional)
- Plain low-fat yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Use 1 tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon spelt flour to grease and flour an 8-inch ovenproof skillet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup spelt flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 cup coconut oil. With an electric mixer on high, beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and beat an additional 1 minute. Add vanilla extract to bowl and beat 30 seconds more. Add half the flour mixture and beat on low until just combined. Add half the kefir and beat until combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and then remaining kefir, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold chopped plum into batter and pour into prepared skillet. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, toss sliced plums with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. When cake is done, remove from oven and arrange sliced plums on top. Serve with honey-sweetened yogurt if desired.
- Recipe provided by chef Katie Lee, author of Endless Summer Cookbook.
Per serving: 307 kcal cal., 13 g fat (10.5 g sat. fat), 359 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 6 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet