Poached Salmon with Dill Cream and Lemon Kasha
A fresh, light way to serve this power food, high in protein and omega-3 oils.
- 1 cup uncooked kasha
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pound thick salmon fillets
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a covered saucepan, simmer the kasha in 2 cups of water for 10 to 12 minutes (add water as needed), until kernels are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Add juice from the lemon and 1 teaspoon zest; set aside
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, add enough cold water to just cover the salmon. Bring to a boil; immediately remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Trim the asparagus ends. Blanch stalks in boiling water for 2 minutes, until crispy-tender. Drain, rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, dill, and Dijon mustard together.
- Remove salmon from the water. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or chilled with the dill cream, asparagus, and kasha.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 419 kcal cal., 17 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 452 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 31 g pro., 89 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet