Pressed Tofu Kebabs, Thai-style
Give your tofu a Thai twist with lime juice, soy sauce, peanut oil, and more.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15 ounce container firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 green onions, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous, cooked according to package directions without added fat
- 1/2 cup prepared Thai peanut sauce
- 8 wooden skewers
- In a shallow dish, whisk together lime juice, cilantro, soy sauce, peanut oil, garlic, and black pepper. Add pressed tofu and turn to coat. Cover with plastic and marinate 15 minutes (or up to 24 hours) refrigerated. Preheat grill or broiler.
- Remove tofu from marinade. Reserve marinade and cut the tofu into 16 pieces. Alternate pieces of tofu, red pepper, and green onion on skewers. (When using wooden skewers, soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes before using, to prevent scorching.) Brush with marinade.
- Grill or broil 5 to 8 minutes, until vegetables are charred and tofu is hot, turning frequently and brushing with marinade halfway through cooking.
- Serve kebabs with couscous. Place the prepared peanut sauce on the side as a dipping sauce for the kebabs.
Per serving: 546 kcal cal., 29 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 48 g carb., 11 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 31 g pro., 748 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet