Presto Pesto Pasta
Ripe cherry tomatoes and fresh basil add zing to a classic sauce and turn this simple dish into a savory meal.
- 1 pound fresh pasta
- 6 tablespoons commercial pesto sauce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pre-washed torn basil leaves
- Cook pasta in rapidly boiling water until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain in a colander, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the reserved water back into pot and turn heat to medium-high. Add pesto sauce, cherry tomatoes, and basil leaves.
- Stir until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt if necessary.
- Turn heat off. Add pasta and stir until well coated. If sauce seems dry, add the remaining 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Stir in 6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese just before serving to add 23 calories, 2g fat, 2g protein, and 68mg calcium. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of pine nuts over pasta just before serving to add 23 calories, 2g fat, and 1g protein.
- Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 361 kcal cal., 8 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 59 g carb., 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 12 g pro., 24 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet