Quick Chilled Asparagus Soup
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups asparagus, reserve 1/4 cup of tips for garnish
- White Pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or silken tofu
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Lemon oil, for garnish
- In medium pot, melt butter and sweat onions and garlic until translucent. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the asparagus and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus are tender. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Puree mixture in blender until smooth. Add the cream and spinach. Puree. Strain and chill.
- Garnish with reserved cooked asparagus tips tossed in salt, lemon oil and lemon zest. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include lemon oil for garnish.
Per serving: 193 kcal cal., 13 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 14 g carb., 3 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g pro., 142 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet