Quinoa Pasta with Beet Greens, Maitake Mushrooms and Sunflower Kernels
- Quinoa pasta (see recipe below, or buy 8 ounces quinoa pasta)
- 2 bunches beet greens, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups maitake mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa, cooled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Spread sunflower seeds on a sheet tray and toast in the oven until golden brown.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, cook pasta according to directions below or package directions and then drain.
- In a large saute pan over medium, heat olive oil. Briefly saute garlic and then remove. Add mushrooms and saute until golden brown. Add drained pasta and beet greens to the pan and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with cheese, toasted sunflower seeds, and pepper.
- Mix flour and cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle of the pile. Add the eggs and oil and stir together with a wooden spoon. When fully combined add enough water to make a firm dough consistency. Kneed by hand or in a mixer with the dough hook attachment for 15 minutes. Let rest overnight.
- Roll pasta with a pasta machine to desired thickness and cut with into 1/2-inch strips.
- Recipe provided by Cafe Clover in New York City
- Photo credit: Cafe Clover