Rainbow Confetti Slaw
This gorgeously hued slaw uses a variety of vegetables, which means it provides a variety of nutrients. One cup of chopped cabbage contains over 50 percent of the recommended daily amount of the antioxidant vitamin C, and it has powerful anthocyanins, which may help reduce inflammation and play a role in brain and heart health. And tomatoes are an excellent source of antioxidants vitamins A and C and a good source of folate, vitamin B6, thiamin, and folate. Talk about a nutrient-packed slaw!
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup chickpeas, cleaned and cooked
- 3 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, cut into long thin strips
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Sea salt
- Start out by steaming the shredded red cabbage for 1-2 minutes over medium-heat to make the pieces softer to the bite; you can omit this step if you like it very crunchy.
- Assemble cabbage, chickpeas, tomatoes, apple, shallots, and basil onto a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, and honey.
- Pour dressing over slaw and add salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss. Chill for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Recipe provided by Trish O'Keefe, R.D., of Dish by Trish.
Per serving: 229 kcal cal., 11 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 208 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 6 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet