Raw Kale Salad with Apple and Creamy Avocado Dressing
Drizzle this avocado dressing recipe over a kale salad made with tart apples and crunchy walnuts for a delicious vegan lunch.
- 1 large bunch (about 1/2 pound) kale, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- To prepare kale, lay each leaf flat on a cutting board and run a sharp knife down each side of stem. Discard stems. Tear up leaves into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil and juice of half a lemon over kale. With clean hands, work oil and lemon into leaves for a few minutes. Leaves will turn bright green and will soften considerably.
- Drizzle apple with juice from other lemon half to prevent browning. Add apple and walnuts to massaged kale and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine first seven ingredients for dressing. Process until smooth. (It will be fairly thick and creamy.) Add more water if desired, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Massaging kale softens the rough, raw leaves and heightens its almost sweet flavor. The variety of textures in this salad crisp apples, crunchy nuts, and soft avocado will have you savoring every bite.
- Recipe provided by Marie-ve Couture of Craving Greens
Per serving: 244 kcal cal., 19 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 22 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 6 g pro., 94 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet