Red Bean, Sausage, and Rice Soup
This dish is chock full of flavorful, filling ingredients. Switch to a chicken-based Italian sausage if the andouille is too spicy for your taste.
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium uncooked red onion, chopped
- 1 large rib uncooked celery, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 15 ounces canned rinsed and drained dark-variety kidney beans
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes, undrained 9 ounces cooked chicken sausage, andouille-style, cut into bite-size pieces
- 9 ounces cooked chicken sausage, andouille-style, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked white rice, converted-variety recommended
- Place garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, beans, tomatoes with their juices, and sausage in a 5-quart slow cooker. Add thyme and pepper; stir well.
- Pour in broth and rice; stir again. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cover slow cooker and set on high power; cook for 4 hours.
- We recommend converted rice because regular long-grain rice can become mushy in slow cooker recipes. To turn up the heat, add 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper with the thyme.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers.
Per serving: 199 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0.5 g sat. fat), 31 g carb., 7 g fiber, 12 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet