Roast Chicken with Lentils and Turnips
Sauteed vegetables, spicy lentils, and garlic smothered turnips blends well the juiciness of this chicken. It's flavorful medley will please adults and kids alike! Prepare this recipe for a family dinner or a romantic date night.
- Chicken Breast or Thigh (skin on or off)
- 1 cup dried Lentils (lentils du puy or green lentils)
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 carrot, diced (reserve celery leaves)
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Turnips (skin on, remove tops, wash well, tokyo turnips halved, or purple turnips cut into bite sized cubes)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 whole sprig of fresh thyme
- On medium heat in a small pot saute onion, celery, carrot, and garlic 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add dried lentils, fresh chopped thyme, a pinch of kosher salt, and saute for additional minute. Add stock to cover the lentils and bring to a boil. Let the lentil simmer on medium low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and the lentils are soft, about 40 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary to continue cooking the lentils. The lentils should be soft all the way through, yet still hold its shape. When you are ready to plate your dish, add a pinch more salt and cracked black pepper, sherry vinegar, and additional tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to the lentils to brighten up their flavor and adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Dry the skin of the chicken well on a paper towel. Season chicken on both side with salt and pepper. Place on a lined sheet tray and roast skin side up, until golden brown and internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 30-35 minutes. Serve on top of lentils.
- Toss cut turnips, smashed garlic clove, spring of thyme, pinch of kosher salt, and cracked black pepper with grapeseed oil, and place in a roasting pan. Place in oven along with the chicken and stir turnips occasional to make sure they are roasting and caramelizing on each side. Serve with lentils and roast chicken, garnish with celery leaves.
- Recipe provided by Melissa King.