Roasted Fall Fruits and Vegetables With Maple-Vanilla Sabayon
- 1 large sweet, firm apple, such as Honeycrisp, cored and cut into 16 wedges
- 1 Bosc pear, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 carrots, preferably orange and purple, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup muscatel, preferably dry
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla paste or extract
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Line a half-sheet pan with parchment. On the prepared pan, toss the apple, pear, carrots, parsnips, and sweet potato with the oil and a pinch of salt. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes. Divide among eight serving cups or bowls.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a gentle simmer. In a stainless steel bowl, whisk the egg yolks, wine, and maple syrup until blended, then set the bowl over simmering water, so the bottom does not touch the water. Continue to whisk continuously until sauce thickens, triples in volume, and looks as light as whipped cream, 4 to 5 minutes. (Make sure the water stays at a gentle simmer.) Remove bowl from heat and whisk in vanilla paste.
- Top roasted fruits and vegetables with sabayon and sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 194 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1.7 g sat. fat), 23 g carb., 4 g fiber, 4 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet