Roasted Moroccan Chicken with Spinach Salad
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bunches parsley (including stems), roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 small whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 6 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pecorino
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Prepare marinade: Add olive oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, curry powder, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to a blender and blend for 1 minute on low. Add parsley and blend until smooth and bright green. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use kitchen twine to truss the chicken if desired, tucking the wings under the bird and tying the legs together. Rub chicken with marinade. Transfer to oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- When chicken is done, let rest for 5 minutes. Prepare salad: Toss spinach, capers, and red onion with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Top with pecorino. Serve the chicken with the salad.
- Courtesy of Chef Kasey Mills, Mediterranean Exploration Company (M.E.C.), Portland, Oregon