Roasted Parsnip, Potato, and Pear Soup
- 3/4 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium pears, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium leeks, stalks only, sliced (about 3 cups) and rinsed well
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 medium white or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fresh herb oil, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss parsnips with garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, stirring once. Add pears to the pan and roast for 15 minutes more, until parsnips are tender.
- Meanwhile, add remaining 3 tablespoons oil, leeks, and a pinch of salt to a 6-quart stock pot or a Dutch oven; saute over medium-high heat until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in stock, thyme, sage, potatoes, and roasted parsnips and pears. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Let soup cool slightly. Using an immersion blender (or carefully transferring to a regular blender in batches), puree soup, adding water as needed to thin. Drizzle with fresh herb oil if desired.
Per serving: 190 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 30 g carb., 5 g fiber, 3 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet