Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Ditch the canned soup and its excessive salt for this easy soup that combines two comfort foods into one for a feel-good lunch or dinner.
- 6 pounds tomatoes, cut in half
- Cooking spray
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped basil leaves
- 3 - 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices 2% cheddar cheese
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mist tomatoes with cooking spray, arrange on baking sheet skin-side-down, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 45 minutes.
- In large pot, saute onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes, basil, water, and more salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Puree mixture with a hand blender until semi-smooth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place cheese on bread, put on a baking sheet, and broil for 5 minutes until cheese bubbles and bread is toasted. Cut into 1-inch bites.
- Serve soup with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and cheese croutons on top.
- Recipe provided by Dawn Jackson Blatner, R.D., creator of the weekly Nutrition WOW e-Newsletter
Per serving: 210 kcal cal., 8 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 162 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 9 g pro., 183 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet