Salad with Toasted Bucherondin Cheese and Chocolate
The perfect lunch dish to get your cocoa fix. The hints of chocolate not only add a subtle depth to the salad, but it complements the savory taste of the Bucherondin cheese.
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chocolate nibs (available at specialty food stores)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped walnuts
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 4 ounces Bucherondin cheese, cut into 4 round slices
- 5 ounces mixed field greens (about 1 bag)
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, shallot, salt, agave nectar, thyme, and mustard with 1 tablespoon hot water. Slowly whisk in oil and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine chocolate nibs and walnuts. Set aside.
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees F. Trim bread slices to the same size and shape as the Bucherondin slices. Toast the bread until just barely golden.
- Place cheese slices on top of bread croutons and top each with1 teaspoon of the walnut mixture. Bake for about 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Toss greens in dressing and divide among four plates. Top each with a crouton and serve immediately.
Per serving: 321 kcal cal., 25 g fat (9 g sat. fat), 321 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 10 g pro., 133 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet