Sauteed Artichokes with Peas and Fennel
Fresh spring artichokes and peas are excellent, actually tasty ways to help reach your daily recommended 25 grams of fiber. Toss them with sweet cherry tomatoes, tart lemon, and licorice-y fennel for a salad exploding with flavors.
- 6 baby artichokes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup vermouth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- Remove outer leaves of artichokes. Cut artichokes in half and remove inner hay with a knife. Place artichokes in cold water with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or wok. Pat artichokes dry. Add to the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes until golden-brown, stirring occasionally. Add vermouth, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and fennel seeds. Once liquid is reduced by half (about 5 minutes), add vegetable broth and peas, and saute for 2 minutes until peas are tender. Add tomatoes and salt, and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or cold.
- Recipe provided by Scarlett of ForkAndFlower.com
Per serving: 303 kcal cal., 8 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 693 mg sodium, 16 g fiber, 13 g pro., 174 mg calcium, 6 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet