Savory Cheesecake Bites with Crab, Grapefruit and Avocado
Grapefruit and avocado taste great together, and they're both heart-healthy, giving these miniature cheesy bites an extra kick of nutrition.
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon melted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 grapefruit
- 12 small ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) fresh crab meat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Flakey sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 12-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray. In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs and butter, then divide among muffin cups and press down.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream, garlic, cornstarch, kosher salt, egg and tarragon. Mix until smooth. Divide the cheesecake mixture between muffin cups and bake until set and just puffing, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then loosen sides and un-mold. In the meantime, cut the peel off the grapefruit and then segment using a small paring knife. Cut up segments into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add the avocado, crab, olive oil, lemon juice and tarragon. Gently mix to combine.
- Top each cheesecake with some of the topping. Finish each cheesecake with a very light sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper.
- Adapted with permission from Sunkist
- Photo credit: Sunkist