Savory Sauteed Veggie Kugel
This kugel recipe packs in lots of veggies and makes for a perfect side dish, yet is hearty enough for a meal, too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, shredded or julienned
- 1 large sweet potato, shredded or julienned
- 1 cup shredded rainbow carrots
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried chives, minced
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil. Add zucchini, sweet potato, carrots, onion, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to the skillet.
- Saute on medium-high for 10-15 minutes, shifting vegetables regularly so they do not burn. After vegetables are cooked and starting to brown slightly, remove them from heat, allowing them to cool for a few minutes so that they do not cook the eggs.
- Once slightly cooled, add eggs one at a time and stir into vegetable mixture. Then add spinach, chives, and almond flour. Once combined thoroughly, pour mixture into a greased, 8 x 6 inch casserole dish.
- Bake the mixture, uncovered for around 45 minutes, or until center is set. Allow the kugel to cool slightly before slicing into squares and serving.
- Adapted with permission from The New Yiddish Kitchen by Simone Miller and Jennifer Robins (Page Street Publishing Co., 2016)