Shiitake Mushroom and Avocado Sammie
This vegetarian sandwich combines the meaty texture of shiitake mushrooms with the cool and creamy texture of avocado. Make sure to choose hearty, crusty bread for this sandwich to stand up to those weighty mushrooms.
- Shiitake mushrooms (about 6 caps)
- 1 thin slice white onion
- Pinch garlic powder
- 2 slices quality bread (I used an Italian Rosemary bread)
- 1 slice Provolone cheese
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add shiitake mushroom caps and saute for about 5 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- Add 1 tablespoon water, onions, and garlic powder to the skillet and allow water to evaporate.
- While the onions and mushrooms continue to cook, toast bread lightly in a toaster oven. Once toasted, add provolone cheese to one piece of bread so it can melt slightly.
- Spread the avocado on the other piece of bread and sprinkle just a pinch of salt over the avocado.
- Arrange the mushrooms and onions on the avocado, then top with the cheesy bread slice.
- Recipe provided by Karman Meyer, R.D., of The Nutrition Adventure.
Per serving: 461 kcal cal., 21 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 611 mg sodium, 9 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 16 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet