Shredded Chicken Enchilada Guacamole Burgers
This recipe brings two beloved comfort foods (burgers and enchiladas) together to form one delicious Paleo dinner.
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or about 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 poblano or pasilla peppers
- Olive oil and salt for roasting peppers
- Buns or rolls of your choice
- 6 slices raw sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and warm a Dutch oven to medium heat on the stove. In a mixing bowl, stir together tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, spices and salt, then set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the warm pan and saute onions for 5 minutes or until they start to soften. Remove the onions from the pan, adding to the tomato sauce mixture, and set aside.
- Next add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Sear chicken for 2 minutes, rotate to the other side and sear for an additional 2 minutes. Pour tomato sauce mixture over chicken and place a lid on top of the pan. Place in the oven and bake chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breast meat. Use two forks to shred the chicken apart in the pan, allowing it to soak up the juices.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 400 degrees. Slice the stems off the peppers, remove and discard the inner seeds. Slice peppers into thin strips and place on a baking sheet, tossing lightly with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the guacamole by peeling the avocados and discarding the pits. Mash avocados together and mix in the seasonings.
- To assemble, slice rolls or buns in half, laying a slice of cheese, if using, on the bottom. Toast the rolls until the cheese is melted. Add a scoop of shredded chicken, then roasted poblano peppers, and garnish with guacamole.
- Recipe and image courtesy of Caroline Potter