Shredded Rainbow Salad with Lemony Avocado Dressing
This bright and crunchy salad from Greens 24/7 will lighten up your lunch routine. And since it's based on hearty vegetables like cabbage, which won't wilt when dressed, it's safe to make in advance and eat for a few days.
- 1/2 small red cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 3 - 4 kale leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame
- 3 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1 small avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Either by hand or using a food processor, shred or grate the cabbage, carrots, kale, and cucumber.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook the edamame for 3-4 minutes; strain and rinse in cold water.
- To a large bowl, add the shredded vegetables, edamame, and 2 tablespoons of the hemp hearts.
- Prepare the dressing: In a food processor or blender, blend avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and cup water until smooth.
- Add dressing to the vegetables and toss well. Garnish with remaining tablespoon of hemp seeds and serve at room temperature.
- Reprinted with permission from Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Vegetables at Every Meal, Every Day by Jessica Nadel (The Experiment, 2014)
Per serving: 174 kcal cal., 10 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 6.5 g fiber, 3.5 g sugar, 7 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet