Slow Cooker Pumpkin Stew
It doesn't get any easier than tossing 12 ingredients into a slow cooker and coming back six hours later! Plus, pumpkin is brimming with vitamin A, an under-consumed nutrient in the U.S., according to the latest Dietary Guidelines Committee Report. It's a win-win dish!
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin
- 3 red potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 1/2 cups water (or broth)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4- 1/2 chili powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- To cube your pumpkin, start by cutting 1/2-1 inch off the top and bottom of your pumpkin. Scoop out the inside of the pumpkin (seeds and membranes), reserving the seeds to bake later, if desired. Then peel the sides with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler. Alternatively, after cleaning out the inside, quarter the pumpkin and then peel the outside. (Use whichever method is easier for you). Cube into 1-inch pieces and place in the slow cooker.
- Dice the potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and onion. Add to the slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the diced veggies. Add the canned diced tomatoes (do not drain) and water. Stir to mix everything together.
- Stir in the seasonings (garlic, pepper, cumin and chili powder).
- Turn the slow cooker on high and leave for 6 hours.*
- Serve with crackers and enjoy!
- *For a thicker stew, during the last 30 minutes of cooking, take a cup and combine cup water and 3 Tablespoons cornstarch. Stir until smooth. Add to the stew, stirring until combined. Continue cooking on high for the remaining 30 minutes, or until the liquid is thickened. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Recipe provided by Brittany Poulson, R.D., of Dietitian Brittany.
Per serving: 200 kcal cal., 1 g fat) (47 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 8 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet