Smoky Black Bean Tacos
Black beans are a great way to go if you're looking to up your daily dose of iron. And there's no better way to enjoy beans than in delicious, smoky tacos. A serving of two tacos provides a whopping 37 percent of the recommended daily amount of iron. Plus, the mangos, chili, and lime juice in the salsa have a nice amount of vitamin C to help you absorb all that iron!
- 1 15 ounce can no added sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- Pinch of salt
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup each grated or crumbled cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges for serving
- Chop half of the red bell pepper into 1/2" pieces and set aside. Mince (fine dice 1/4") the other half of the bell pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, larger, chopped bell pepper, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened and slightly translucent. Add the black beans, cumin, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until most of the liquid is evaporated. Cover and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the mango, the minced bell pepper, red onion, serrano pepper, lime zest and juice and pinch of salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat tortillas. If you have a gas stove, turn the flame on medium and place the tortilla directly on the grate. Heat the tortilla until it starts to puff and char slightly. Use tongs to flip the tortilla. Repeat with the rest of the rest of the tortillas.
- To assemble the tacos: Spoon the black beans into the tortilla shell. Tuck in a few slices of optional avocado. Sprinkle with cheeses (if using), top with mango salsa, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy.
- Recipe provided by Lisa Lotts of Garlic and Zest.
Per serving: 616 kcal cal., 14 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 107 g carb., 18 g fiber, 37 g sugar, 20 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet