Southwest Hominy and Turkey Sausage Stew
A go-to recipe for chilly nights. Hominy adds wonderful flavor and texture.
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 31 ounces canned hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups sliced chopped uncooked red onions
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced uncooked celery
- 2/3 cup canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped canned green chilies (hot, medium or mild)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pound uncooked turkey sausage, casings removed
- Mix the undrained diced tomatoes, hominy, onion, celery, broth, green chilies, oregano, cumin, pepper, and cloves in a 4-, 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Crumble the sausage into quarter-sized bits over the stew; gently stir it in without breaking it up too much.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 7 hours.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 202 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 23 g carb., 10 g fiber, 14 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet