Spaghetti with Tomato-Meat Sauce
We all need comfort food from time to time and this meat sauce does the trick. It's wonderful spooned over pasta, baked potatoes, couscous, or barley.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large uncooked onion, chopped
- 1 medium uncooked carrot, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat spaghetti, kept hot
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add ground beef to skillet. Cook, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree, salt, red pepper flakes, and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend and for sauce to thicken slightly; spoon sauce over spaghetti.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 242 kcal cal., 6 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 340 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 22 g pro., 18 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet