Spelt Fusilli with Pea Pesto
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1 pound spelt fusilli
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen and thawed peas
- 4 cups packed basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a large pinch of salt. Cook the fusilli until al dente, following package directions. Drain, reserving a few cups of cooking water.
- Add peas, basil, pine nuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt to a food processor and pulse to combine. Stream in olive oil and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl stir together the ricotta, half the lemon zest, and the lemon juice.
- Add pesto to a large saute pan over low heat. Use a ladle to add small amounts of pasta water to loosen it. Add cooked pasta and additional pasta water as needed, tossing and stirring until coated.
- Divide pasta among 4 plates. Top each with a spoonful of lemon ricotta and a quarter of the remaining lemon zest.
- Recipe by Ali LaRaia, the chef and cofounder at The Sosta in New York City
Per serving: 582 kcal cal., 30 g fat (5.8 g sat. fat), 603 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 20 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet