Spiced Red-Pepper Hummus
This Middle Eastern dish makes for a supremely healthy snack.
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, packed
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 6 pitted oil-cured black olives
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mild cayenne pepper sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot or Texas Pete
- Pre-cut vegetable sticks and whole-wheat pita wedges, for dipping
- Place garlic in a small dish (or custard cup). Add enough water to just cover garlic (about 3 tablespoons). Cover dish with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute at full power; discard water.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic into the food processor. Add parsley and process until chopped. Add chickpeas, red peppers, olives, tahini, lemon juice, and pepper sauce. Blend until smooth. Serve with pita triangles and raw vegetable sticks
Per serving: 98 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 242 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 4 g pro., 42 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet