Spicy Basil Beef Bowls
For the Beef:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon julienned fresh ginger
- 2 dried red chiles
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 pound 80 percent lean ground beef
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon gochujang paste or Sriracha sauce, adjusted to taste
- 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Truvia or Swerve
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
For the pickled vegetables:
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Truvia or Swerve
- Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting Saute and adjusting to high heat. When the inner cooking pot is hot, add the oil and heat until it is shimmering. Add the garlic, ginger, and chiles and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and break up any lumps, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes. Don't worry about cooking it through at this point; just make sure it's not going to cook as one big lump of meat.
- Add 1/2 cup of basil and the salt, pepper, gochujang, water, soy sauce, sweetener, lime juice, and sesame oil, and stir to combine.
- Lock the lid into place. Select Manual or Pressure Cook and adjust the pressure to High. Cook for 4 minutes. When the cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure. Unlock the lid and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of basil.
- While the beef is cooking, pickle the vegetables for your side salad. Julienne or coarsely grate the carrots and cucumbers. Then put them in a medium bowl and mix with the vinegar, salt, and sweetener.
- To serve, portion the basil beef in to individual bowls, accompanied by the pickled salad.
- Recipe from The Keto Instant Pot Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre.
Per serving: 298 kcal cal., 20 g fat) (8 g carb., 1 g fiber, 22 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet