Spicy Lentil and Black Bean Chili
Lentils and black beans are a delicious pairing in vegetarian chili. It's tasty on its own but also great topped with light sour cream and cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups dry French lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 29 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Place lentils in a large sauce pan and cover with water by several inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender but retain a little bite, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, pepper and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- In a cup, combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt; add to skillet and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring often, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, and beans to skillet; stir well to combine. Cover skillet and simmer so flavors can blend, about 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in lentils and cilantro; serve.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 286 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0.5 g sat. fat), 12 g carb., 6 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 13 g pro., 4 mg calcium, 0.1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet