This party favorite gets a healthy makeover!
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 10 ounce packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 8 ounce package fat-free cream cheese
- 1 8 ounce carton light sour cream
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup reduced-fat jack cheese, shredded
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cooking spray
- Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray. Cook and stir onion over medium heat until transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add spinach. Cook until thoroughly heated (about 1-2 minutes). Reduce heat; add cream cheese. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and artichokes. Remove from heat.
- Season with red and black pepper and salt, if desired. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Top with jack cheese and heat in the microwave until cheese melts. Serve warm with reduced-fat crackers or chips of your choice.
- Replace butter with nonstick cooking spray to cut 41 calories and 5 grams of fat.
- Use fat-free cream cheese instead of full-fat to save 29 calories and 4 fat grams.
- Use light sour cream to save 10 calories and 2 fat grams.
- Replace regular jack cheese with reduced-fat jack cheese to cut 26 calories and 2 fat grams.
Per serving: 76 kcal cal., 3 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 237 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 7 g pro., 161 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet