Sri Lankan Beet Curry
With an exotic blend of curry, coconut milk, and beets, this recipe doesn't shy away from flavor. Its bold taste and creamy texture is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 1 pound medium or large peeled beets, cut into matchsticks
- 1 onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, small diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 can coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- Take the fat off the coconut cream and saute all your ingredients except the beets for five minutes.
- Add the beets and remaining coconut milk to the curry. You may need to add a little water if the curry becomes too dry and your beets are still under-cooked. Cook until the beets are tender and the gravy thickens.
- Season as you go with salt, spice and anything else that you feel your curry needs. Finish with a squeeze of lime. Serve over rice, chickpeas, or just the beet curry!
- Recipe provided by Katie Weinner