Steamed Eggs with Vinegar and Herbs
Fuel your day with a hearty breakfast recipe that's high in protein and low in calories.
- Cooking spray
- 8 eggs
- 2 - 4 sprigs fresh marjoram, oregano, or any other herb
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, sliced and toasted
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray eight ramekins with cooking spray. Break one egg into each ramekin.
- Place the dishes in an oven-safe lasagna pan. Fill the pan with boiling water until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for 4 minutes, until the egg whites are firm and the yolks are creamy.
- While the eggs cook, roughly chop the herbs. Remove the eggs from the ramekins by easing them out with the tip of a knife. Place each egg on an English muffin half and lightly press the eggs into the muffins with a fork. Sprinkle with vinegar, chopped herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Serve the eggs sans English muffins to cut 135 calories and 422 milligrams of sodium per serving.
- Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 271 kcal cal., 11 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 504 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 18 g pro., 161 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet