Strawberry Basil Farro Salad
Farro - an ancient grain that dates back to Roman times - tastes similar to brown rice, but with a nuttier flavor and a pleasantly chewier texture. And it provides 5 grams of fiber per cooked cup - huge! Cook farro as you would rice, in water or broth for about 25 minutes.
For the salad:
- 2 cups dry farro, cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 cups spinach, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- 6 strawberries
- 15 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Mixed cooked farro with all ingredients through basil. Taste. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Add feta cheese to top.
- For dressing, add all ingredients to a food processor. Process for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Pour half of salad dressing over farro mixture and stir. Add additional dressing to taste.
- Can serve immediately or chill covered in the refrigerator.
- Recipe provided by Heather Mason, founder of Nutty Nutrition and Fitness.
Per serving: 197 kcal cal., 10 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 22 g carb., 5 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet