Sweet and Sour Tofu with Rice Noodles
This healthy vegetarian recipe uses an ingenious way of quickly cooking tofu that's infused with flavor.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 pound rice noodles
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch thick slices. Press the water out of the slices and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- In a baggie or on a wide plate, toss the tofu with the whole-wheat flour until all the pieces have a thin coating.
- Mix the lemon juice, sweetener, soy sauce and ginger in a small bowl.
- In a frying pan, warm the oil and brown the tofu (about 3 to 4 minutes). When it's browned add the sauce and let it cook down until the tofu is thickly coated (5 to 6 minutes).
- While the sauce is reducing, cook the rice noodles by plunging them into hot water for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with the mung bean sprouts and top with the finished tofu. Garnish generously with cilantro.
- Recipe courtesy of Cara Eisenpress and Phoebe Lapine of Big Girls, Small Kitchen
- Nutritional information is based on using a 14oz block of tofu.
Per serving: 477 kcal cal., 11 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 1125 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 20 g sugar, 19 g pro., 581 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet