Sweet and Tart Chocolate Cherry Cupcake Bites
Win rave reviews from kids and adults alike with these chocolate-y bite-sized treats. Plus, you'll avoid the extra fat and calories that come with a larger cupcake.
- 1 18 1/4 ounce package devil's food cake mix
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons warm water (or more to yield smooth batter)
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 16 ounce can dark, pitted sweet cherries packed in light syrup, drained
- 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 24-hole mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, make frosting: Mix together 1 cup cake mix, 2 tablespoons apple butter, water and 1 teaspoon almond extract until smooth (add extra water if necessary); set aside.
- Place drained cherries on a paper towel. Pat cherries dry, place on cutting board and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In a mixer on slow speed, combine remaining cake mix, remaining apple butter, remaining almond extract and egg substitute for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes more; stir in cherries.
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with cherry mixture. Bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost each cupcake with 1 teaspoon reserved frosting.
- Although we used canned cherries, when they're in season, you can use 1 cup fresh, chopped, pitted Bing cherries instead.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 59 kcal cal., 2 g fat (0.4 g sat. fat), 88 mg sodium, 0.4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 1 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet