Sweet Pea and Onion Risotto
This Mediterranean-inspired dish, flavored with goat cheese and pearl onions, is deliciously creamy and delectably satisfying.
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 basket small pearl onions or 16-ounce bag frozen pearl onions, thawed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio (short-grain) rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas, thawed
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil
- Pour chicken broth into a medium saucepan, set pan over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer.
- Peel onions (unless you're using frozen onions, which are already peeled) and add to simmering broth; simmer for five minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from broth, and set aside. Keep broth simmering.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add fennel, garlic, and rice. Cook five minutes, until rice is golden, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until liquid is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup (risotto takes about 25 minutes to cook from the time the first liquid is added).
- Add pearl onions, peas, and goat cheese. Cook two minutes, until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in mint or basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 459 kcal cal., 13 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 67 g carb., 6 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 18 g pro., 123 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet