Tex-Mex Black Bean Burgers
Satisfy your burger craving, sans-meat, with these southwestern-style sandwiches
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce with 1 teaspoon sauce from can
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ounces shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 6 4-inch whole-wheat pita pockets
- 8 tablespoons prepared salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- Cooking spray
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add next 4 ingredients and process until smooth (you may leave some beans whole, if desired, to add texture). Shape mixture into 6 patties, each about 2 inches thick.
- Coat a grill pan or large griddle with cooking spray and set pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add burgers and cook 5 minutes per side, until golden brown on both sides.
- Top burgers with cheese, cover pan with a lid or foil and cook 1 minute, until cheese melts. Place burgers inside pita pockets and top each burger with 1 1/2 tablespoons salsa.
Per serving: 456 kcal cal., 8 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 75 g carb., 16 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 23 g pro., 207 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet