The Penicillin Cocktail with Tequila
When it comes to crafting the perfect Cinco de Mayo drink, all you need to do is add tequila. So, while a Penicillin cocktail is usually made with scotch, this recipe swaps it out for tequila, making it a surefire hit for your Mexican fiesta.
Honey Ginger Syrup:
- 16 ounces honey
- 16 ounces hot water
- 4 - 6 ounces ginger, sliced and peeled into six pieces
- 1 ounce honey ginger syrup
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce peety scotch, like Lagavulin
- Orange twist for garnish
For the honey ginger syrup
- In a plastic quart, combine hot water and honey. Stir vigorously with a bar spoon and then chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once cold, muddle ginger in a pint glass. Add to batch of honey syrup, stirring together and letting sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain into a fresh plastic container.
For the cocktail
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice.
- Shake thoroughly, strain over fresh ice, and garnish with an orange twist.
- Recipe provided by mixologist Luis Garcia, The Director of Service and Standards of Paige Hospitality Group