Tofu Mushroom Tacos
Use your favorite mushrooms to make these vegetarian tacos. About 90 percent of mushrooms consumed are white button, making it the most popular variety. But no matter which you choose, you'll be taking in lots of important nutrients.
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 15 ounce can (1 3/4 cup) black beans, rinsed, and drained
- 2 cups leafy greens
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced into 8 pieces
- 8 small (6-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup plant-based cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- Shred drained tofu with a grater.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add tofu, mushrooms, garlic, salsa, taco seasoning and soy sauce. Saute for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat black beans (in the microwave or over the stove) until warm.
- Arrange greens, tomatoes, and avocadoes on a platter. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute.
- To assemble each taco: Fill with about 1/4 cup tofu mushroom mixture, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1/4 tomato, 1 slice of avocado, 2 tablespoons plant-based cheese (optional) and 1 tablespoon salsa.
- Recipe provided by Sharon Palmer, R.D., author of Plant-Powered for Life.
Per serving: 244 kcal cal., 10 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 430 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 10 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet