Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Scallion Mashed Potatoes
Replacing ground beef with ground turkey breast cuts about 100 calories per serving from this dish.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 large or 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 scallions (green and white parts), chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (if you don't have at least a 12-inch skillet, use a large saucepan or stock pot to prevent spillovers). Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute 3 minutes, until tender. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add turkey and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Add thyme, oregano, and pepper and stir to coat turkey with herbs. Return sauteed vegetables to skillet with the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, until liquid reduces and sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium to large saucepan and pour over enough water to cover. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil 8 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return potatoes to pan. Mash potatoes with the sour cream and milk. Season to taste with black pepper. Fold in scallions (mashed potatoes should be slightly thin and easy to spread over turkey mixture; if they're not, add more milk).
- Transfer turkey mixture to a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate or shallow casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over top and, using the back of a spoon, make an even layer.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet (in case of spillovers) and bake 12 to 15 minutes, until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Per serving: 549 kcal cal., 17 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 73 g carb., 9 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 31 g pro., 189 mg calcium, 7 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet