Mediterranean in origin, Avgolemono refers to a soup or sauce typically made with an egg and lemon base. To transform the soup into a vegan-friendly alternative with the same creaminess, this recipe uses miso and tahini.
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 heaping tablespoons dried dill
- Saute shallots, carrots, and garlic in oil until shallots are translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add broth, rice, and salt, and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook 30 to 35 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- Whisk together miso, tahini, and lemon juice. Add mixture to soup, whisking, until blended. Top with nutritional yeast and dill.
- Recipe provided by Gena of ChoosingRaw.com
Per serving: 329 kcal cal., 9.5 g fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 52 g carb., 7 g fiber, 11 g pro., 99 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet