Vegan Kale and Mushroom Soup
One serving of shiitake mushrooms (about 4-5) contains 41 calories, 10 grams of carbohydrates, and is totally free of fat. Plus, it's an excellent source of the antioxidant selenium, providing 26 percent of the daily recommended dose. These beauties are also filled with numerous B-vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid.
For the Dashi (broth):
- 8 cups filtered water
- 2 strips kombu
- 3 dried shitake mushrooms
- 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled, and sliced into thin coins
For the Miso Soup:
- 1 cup reserved Dashi
- 1/2 cup brown rice miso
- 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 6 - 8 lacinato kale leaves, stems removed, and roughly chopped (any kale variety will do)
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 7 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 - 4 green onions, finely chopped, light and dark green parts only
- For the Dashi (broth): Fill a large pot with water and add kombu, dried mushrooms, and ginger. Turn heat on to medium and let cook until just before the water begins to boil. Turn off the heat and remove the kombu, mushrooms and ginger with a slotted spoon.
- For the Miso Soup: While the dashi is still hot, reserve about 1 cup and mix with the miso in a bowl until miso is smooth consistency, free of any lumps.
- In a separate pot, cook the soba noodles according to the directions on the package (about 8 minutes in boiling water).
- Heat the dashi over medium heat and add the garlic, kale, mushrooms, ginger, and tofu. Let cook until kale begins to soften but before it gets too wilted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Separate the soba noodles into bowls for serving. Pour the miso soup over the noodles. Garnish with green onion and option to garnish with gomashio.
- Recipe provided by Kara Lydon, R.D., of The Foodie Dietitian.
Per serving: 168 kcal cal., 2 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 33 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 9 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet