- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 generous pinch of Saffron
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow squash
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Arborio or other medium-grain rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh green peas
- 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Lemon wedges for serving
- In a small pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Once boiling, turn off heat and add saffron, allowing saffron to steep at least five minutes. In a separate pan, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add the onions, stirring until translucent. Then add broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, salt and pepper to taste, and cook 2 minutes until vegetables have slightly lost their rigidity.
- Add the rice, and stir until coated in oil, continuing to stir until slightly toasted. Add the white wine. When the wine has reduced by 3/4 volume, add the peas, crushed tomatoes, and half of the stock, ladling slowly, and stirring pan to keep ingredients even. Cook until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining stock, artichoke hearts, half of the cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Cooked until liquid is absorbed and rice is slightly crispy at edges.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and lemon wedges.
- Recipe provided by Azu California Tapas in Ojai, California
- Photo credit: Azu California Tapas