Vegetable and Brown Rice Paella
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes or 4 large plum tomatoes, diced (or one 14-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 small bunch thin asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a saucepan, bring broth to a simmer and stir in saffron, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and rice; stir to combine. Pour in reserved broth and bring to a boil. Cover, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven, uncover, and place asparagus and artichokes on top, pushing vegetables into the rice. Scatter peas over the top. Cover and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes more, or until all broth is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 333 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 61 g carb., 14 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 14 g pro., 92 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet