Vegetable Fried Rice
This is a great way to use leftover rice. If you use just-cooked rice, this dish will turn out sticky and gummy.
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 1 cup fresh shelled or frozen peas
- 1/2 pound smoked chicken, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or a 12-inch skillet over high heat until hot. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of oil, add red onion and stir-fry 10 seconds.
- Add broccoli and corn and stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until broccoli is bright green. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, rice and peas to wok and stir-fry 2-3 minutes, separating rice with a metal spatula.
- Return broccoli and corn to wok. Add smoked chicken, chives, salt and pepper and stir-fry 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in lime zest and juice. Divide among 4 bowls.
Per serving: 391 kcal cal., 13 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 49 g carb., 6 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 21 g pro., 70 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet